Posts 270/ 1
05 Sep 2018 20:05
|I was just wondering if in the next release of coffin there are going to be any bug fixes to the included games? I have notice the last few release have a broken Cannon Ball, Broken Tyrian, and the Doom installation isnt set up for the midi music... It would be nice if these issue would be addressed in upcomming builds.|
06 Sep 2018 00:46
|I believe an SDL 68k needs a fix, and until fixed it might be better to remove named games from Coffin.|
Coffin does not fix apps.
It only includes/removes.
Individual apps have to be optimized/fixed by their authors, respectively
06 Sep 2018 07:43
|The Apollo Team aren't the ones responsible for putting Coffin together anyway. So if there are any issues with the OS they're not really going to be able to help.|
Gunnar von Boehn
(Apollo Team Member)
06 Sep 2018 08:00
|sean sk wrote:|
The Apollo Team aren't the ones responsible for putting Coffin together anyway. So if there are any issues with the OS they're not really going to be able to help.
This is right what you say.
Ideally a real company with thousands of developers should take care of this. And this company should create a polished OS which is easy to use and hopefully even idiot proof. And this company should invest money to develop new software and to provide the best possible polished OS. Maybe like what Apple is doing.
But is this is not happening.
There is no company investing into making AMIGA useable.
There is no company investing millions to make new AMIGA software.
If you have an AMIGA then you need to do this all your own, and you will find that making your AMIGA nice and useable is a complex task as you first need to find many pieces from the internet first.
Coffin is the effort of some Amiga fans helping other Amiga fans to get started with Amiga easily - without spending days in Aminet.
I have small kids which use AMIGA for gaming - I'm grateful that Coffin exists as it saved me literally days of install time to get them a working system.
Posts 270/ 1
11 Sep 2018 13:54
|No I totally get what your saying and yes its super convenient to just install this and go - I was asking as this seems to get regular updates by the coffin guy and it would just be nice to see this area improved upon... its not meant as critique as i love the coffin os - just food for thaught!|
11 Sep 2018 16:34
|Problem is - its just OS 3.9+ distro with layers of new stuff on top. Like your home AOS, just build to be Vamp centric.|
So, he does not have access to source code and cannot fix bugs more then you or me. Best he can is to include newer version that is fixed, which Coffin dude does regularly.
When some authors complained of not agreeing on this (even they do share files on Aminet and claim its free) he removed the software.
So "when its done/possible" - not before.
Keep smiling when seeing COffin changelog.
I am amazed what and which beta and hard to get versions dude gets.
Posts 270/ 1
11 Sep 2018 16:45
|yes it is impressive - I love the emulators section especially! Maybe we should rally the support of the various people that write the ports like you suggest?|
11 Sep 2018 18:31
|Yes Emulator Section is a Dream!!!Coffin is a Good Compilation, an upgrade pack option from an old to a new version is missing here. thx for your work|
11 Sep 2018 21:38
|This is a good time to thank any and all for the tedious and hard work that those who have put Coffin together.|
As hobbyists we know that our input is part of the reason we play with all of this. Coffin is by far a big leg up with a ready to go system.
Just tweaking a bit after that.
I do have other compact flash boot cards with other configurations for more fun.
12 Sep 2018 00:03
|Lord A1k wrote:|
an upgrade pack option from an old to a new version is missing here. thx for your work
Yup, quite pain in the ass to do the image again and loose all the past fun ... Restaring fi real.
- It introduced smart hidden failsafe partition
- Introduced Atari partition and easy boot up
- Introduced core detection and upgrade assistance
Has to do (in my dreams only)
- Legalization via Hype OS 1.4 or whatever it is name. I am sure Trevor would trade that minor side project (just for later Vamp XXX AmiKit edits, or 5$ out of $20 for him) for hmm ... AGA layer with no SAGA improvements for OS4 granting out of box Amiga NG experience for real, no UAE? Complemented by Petunia instead of ApolloCore.
- Application upgrade instead of "system overwrite" (Grunch like but for OS components)
- If OS components have to be brutaly installed, installer with hard reboot
- In similar fashion AROS 68k section boot partition could be introduced when ready, even ucLinux on Vamp4, would sacrifice half of emulation for that
- AmiKit integration for 20$, a bit Vamp optimized if possible and then dubed AmiKit XXX Vampire edition, for South and Eastern Europe XX CEE edit. In China 3 communist stars Vampire edit. North Korea also, approved by great leader. In Serbia blessed by Vucic.
- Would love best MacOS Classic games and more productivity apps abandoned (Photoshop of that version is) instead of games, games, oh so many games! Or some very best selection :-)
- Whatever author has dream t of.
27 Sep 2018 19:02
|I haven't used the rgb side of my Coffin based Vampire system in a long time.|
So I hooked up a rgb compatible monitor that was used much previously with no problem. Now when I run many WHD load games and demos the start screen works well showing menu or intro graphics etc.
Then it is blank while still playing music but nothing else.
Is this a Whd load issue? I have R49 on Coffin and 2.9 on Vampire.