Overview Features Coding Performance Forum Downloads Products OrderV4 Contact

Welcome to the Apollo Forum

This forum is for people interested in the APOLLO CPU.
Please read the forum usage manual.



All TopicsNewsPerformanceGamesDemosApolloVampireAROSWorkbenchATARIReleases
Running OCS/AGA/RTG Demos

ApolloDungeon - Preview Series On Maggie 3D

Willem Drijver
(Apollo Team Member)
Posts 115
27 Mar 2022 12:02


This short video is a preview on the development of the new exciting Apollo Maggie 3D chip added to the already impressive ApolloSAGA chipset. With the Maggie chip Amiga finally enters the 3D era. This first alpha preview demonstrates the basic 3D modelling with true color texture mapping including light and shadow casting. This executable demo let's you walk interactively through a gloomy Dungeon....watch out for our new previews in the coming week, following the progress made by the Apollo 3D Team.
 



Danilo Drago

Posts 28
27 Mar 2022 16:04


Tested on my V4 with latest beta Core.

Is it managed only by Maggie ?
Or is the CPU involved too ?


Gunnar von Boehn
(Apollo Team Member)
Posts 5805
27 Mar 2022 16:26


Hi Danilo,

Danilo Drago wrote:

Is it managed only by Maggie ?
Or is the CPU involved too ?

The drawing/texturing/painting is a done my Maggie.
The CPU of course will setup/start Maggie.

Maggie is part of the Amiga chipset very much like the Amiga Blitter. When coding Amiga games the CPU of course does check the mouse, does do the game logic and will then tell the Blitter to copy some GFX around or draw some line. The way how to use Maggie is very much the same as using the Amiga Blitter - in fact Maggie is part of the SAGA Amiga Blitter.




Mr-Z EdgeOfPanic

Posts 189
27 Mar 2022 17:08


Will it be utilizing W3D/OpenGL or does an application need to be programmed specifically for it ?


Gunnar von Boehn
(Apollo Team Member)
Posts 5805
27 Mar 2022 17:29


Mr-Z EdgeOfPanic wrote:

Will it be utilizing W3D/OpenGL or does an application need to be programmed specifically for it ?

The Dungeon Tech-Demo which you see in the Video uses Maggie directly, which of course makes good sense. As we are right now in an early phase. I think the Demo is just the first step , it will improve more, and I can envision to see also a level editor which will allow all people to make games based on this engine.

For the Future something like a OpenGL wrapper is planned too.


Lorenzo Pistone

Posts 22
27 Mar 2022 18:53


At which screen resolution it can work?
It will be possible to fit a second FPGA in a future vampire to be used as 3d GPU?



Gunnar von Boehn
(Apollo Team Member)
Posts 5805
27 Mar 2022 19:15


Hi Lorenzo
 
 
Lorenzo Pistone wrote:

  At which screen resolution it can work?
 

 
Maggie produces truecolor 32 results.
And exactly like the orignal Amiga Blitter, Maggie is not dependent on the screen resolution. You can use it on any screensize from 320 to 1280 pixel.
 
 
Lorenzo Pistone wrote:

It will be possible to fit a second FPGA in a future vampire to be used as 3d GPU?

Maggie is included already in today V4 systems.
V4 Standalone, V4 Icedrake and V4 Firebird have Maggie unit in them.
 


Eddie Cejvan

Posts 16
29 Mar 2022 03:23


Love your work.


DiscreetFX Studios

Posts 112
29 Mar 2022 03:42


Looks fantastic, thanx Apollo Team.


Darren Eveland

Posts 71
30 Mar 2022 02:34


Willem Drijver wrote:

This short video is a preview on the development of the new exciting Apollo Maggie 3D chip added to the already impressive ApolloSAGA chipset. With the Maggie chip Amiga finally enters the 3D era. This first alpha preview demonstrates the basic 3D modelling with true color texture mapping including light and shadow casting. This executable demo let's you walk interactively through a gloomy Dungeon....watch out for our new previews in the coming week, following the progress made by the Apollo 3D Team.
 
 

Very cool. Impressive work!


posts 10