Overview Features Instructions Performance Forum Downloads Products OrderV4 Reseller Contact

Welcome to the Apollo Forum

This forum is for people interested in the APOLLO CPU.
Please read the forum usage manual.



All TopicsNewsPerformanceGamesDemosApolloVampireAROSWorkbenchATARIReleases
Documentation about the Vampire hardware

V500 / V600 Gold 3 AGApage  1 2 3 4 

Antony Coello

Posts 48
19 Aug 2020 22:43


Im afraid I dont care to use Facebook, so dont know what exactly the mix of ingredients is per option.

  However, there needs to be a clarification as to what exactly is the options mix here, with regards to if the option specified includes/omits:

- Full 80bit FPU precision
- AGA Chipset
- All video through Digital output
- V4SA SAGA Features
- RTG output

I imagine the split of votes will be between the 'old skool' Amiga users wanting AGA and FPU to play games/watch 060 AGA demos, and the users wanting a more 'upgraded' experience, with all video through Digital Out with high res RTG Graphics.

But we still need to know EXACTLY what mix of the points above is going to be for each option.

Other than that, thanks to Manuel/Vampire Team for looking after the older gen card owners!


Leigh Russ

Posts 150
20 Aug 2020 08:13


Antony Coello wrote:

Im afraid I dont care to use Facebook, so dont know what exactly the mix of ingredients is per option.

I posted what the Facebook poll options are (or at least the ones with more than 3 votes) in my comment above.

As for the split, it currently sits at 185 votes for the all video over DIGITAL-VIDEO option. Only 45 votes for Core 3 AGA- No FPU, and only 21 for the Core 3 RTG - with FPU and PiP.




Mallagan Bellator

Posts 392
20 Aug 2020 08:51


Leigh Russ wrote:

You know they aren't really all that rare right? If you are willing to spend the money then they are pretty easy to come by. Plenty on eBay, and the various selling forums or Facebook groups.
 

They still cost money, and if you bought or plan to buy a Vampire for A500 or A600, and you've learned that AGA is coming, and you don't wanna spend more money to buy a completely new Amiga, you shouldn't need to spend that money for it. However, AGA IS coming in at least one Gold 3.x core for those machines, because people want it. Also, Commodore isn't around anymore. Sure, there are plenty of A1200s around, but eventually they will get rare.

I actually really like the idea of the V4SA, it's a completely new Amiga that doesn't require old hardware. you buy that one, you've got a whole computer


Antony Coello

Posts 48
20 Aug 2020 11:13


Leigh Russ wrote:

Antony Coello wrote:

  Im afraid I dont care to use Facebook, so dont know what exactly the mix of ingredients is per option.
 
 

 
  I posted what the Facebook poll options are (or at least the ones with more than 3 votes) in my comment above.
 
  As for the split, it currently sits at 185 votes for the all video over DIGITAL-VIDEO option. Only 45 votes for Core 3 AGA- No FPU, and only 21 for the Core 3 RTG - with FPU and PiP.

Thanks for re-iterating. However, if thats exactly how its worded, then its interesting that all options have compromises.

Myself, I would have liked one thing from one option (AGA) and another from the other (FPU). lol

Looks like from the votes so far, its mostly in favour of all out through digital then.


Leigh Russ

Posts 150
20 Aug 2020 13:03


Antony Coello wrote:

Leigh Russ wrote:

 
Antony Coello wrote:

  Im afraid I dont care to use Facebook, so dont know what exactly the mix of ingredients is per option.
 
 

 
  I posted what the Facebook poll options are (or at least the ones with more than 3 votes) in my comment above.
 
  As for the split, it currently sits at 185 votes for the all video over DIGITAL-VIDEO option. Only 45 votes for Core 3 AGA- No FPU, and only 21 for the Core 3 RTG - with FPU and PiP.
 

 
 
  Thanks for re-iterating. However, if thats exactly how its worded, then its interesting that all options have compromises.
 
  Myself, I would have liked one thing from one option (AGA) and another from the other (FPU). lol
 
  Looks like from the votes so far, its mostly in favour of all out through digital then.

I think many people have just got so used to not having AGA for several years that they now treat the Vampire simply as a fast accelerator and RTG system (especially as there is no other RTG solution for an A600).

Others don't seem to overly want AGA as once that's implemented then the original chipset will no longer be used, and the Amiga will effectively just be a glorified port replicator. But I guess this is the same as just treating it as a stupidly fast accelerator.




Peter Foldesi

Posts 5
20 Aug 2020 19:36


I'm mainly hoped that the v2 will be a compatible accelerator.
If anyone get an A1060 running with an A1000 with V500v2, please write it down how goes this, because i'm struggling with this more than six months. Thanks.



Carlos Milán

Posts 78
20 Aug 2020 23:18


I think the Vampire V2 is an accelerator, and as such I am already SO happy with it. If I were to put something in my wish list ordered by priority it would be:

1. Join RTG and ECS under same video output. What happened with that "parasite" hardware hack?
2. 040 or 060 compatible PMMU (I know this is not even planned, just putting on my wishlist).
3. FPU.

Even if none of these get implemented I am already happy with it.



Mallagan Bellator

Posts 392
21 Aug 2020 12:10


I'd be happy with the V1200 having 080 with FPU and AMMX, and working with PCI slots on Mediator, since I have sound card and RTG in PCI slots anyway. oh yeah, and fast IDE. yes to that :)
 
but sorry, I know this is about AGA for A500/600...
What I mean is, there must be possible solutions for all versions. that make sense to yall?


Erik Roy

Posts 12
21 Aug 2020 12:27


Hi idont need aga, but certainly combined video output over hdmi,
and is it possible to have more chipram, othervise my a500v2 is a great accelerator allready.


Daniel Lakey

Posts 41
21 Aug 2020 14:22


Leigh Russ wrote:

I think many people have just got so used to not having AGA for several years that they now treat the Vampire simply as a fast accelerator and RTG system (especially as there is no other RTG solution for an A600).
 

I'd definitely take RTG over AGA on the A600 - using workbench without RTG is painful these days whereas AGA-only titles are few and far between.


Patrik Rendel

Posts 21
21 Aug 2020 23:46


And i take definitly AGA on an A500. Thats all i want as i heard about the Vampire and this upcoming feature. This was the only reason for me to buy it.


Smartroad 78

Posts 82
22 Aug 2020 10:43


Daniel Lakey wrote:

 
  I'd definitely take RTG over AGA on the A600 - using workbench without RTG is painful these days whereas AGA-only titles are few and far between.

I have an A1200 and with the exception of a few games, there is very little to sell me these days on AGA. As you say I also use the RTG function way more as it allows for better resolutions with far more colours.

I would only say it is worth it if AGA was enhanced to be able to do the more modern resolutions and colours (say up to 1280x720 or so with at least 16bit colour), so that way it could replace RTG. Otherwise I honestly don't see what AGA can do that ECS+RTG can't, bar a few games.

Obviously this is all from my perspective :) Other perspectives may vary! lol


Daniel Lakey

Posts 41
22 Aug 2020 11:33


That's what I thought when I got a vampire for my A600 but honestly, I haven't yet found a single AGA game / program that I *must* have, in contrast to the RTG which makes workbench usable with modern displays


Antony Coello

Posts 48
22 Aug 2020 12:11


Not having AGA (from the perspective of higher colour depth, as opposed to compatibility) MAY not be a big problem.
 
  I am currently working on a software solution (currently on the Atari range, but would easily be modified for Amiga) which would allow for higher colour content.
 
  With the Vampire, the extremely tight (or impossible!) timing/graphics bandwidth issues can be better managed/coped with. e.g. even if the CPU only gets a 1/5th of the time it had before (due to the graphics/DMA/whatever hogging the bus), its STILL a magnitude faster than the original CPU, but now higher colour screens, etc can possibly be realised, due to more CPU cycles per whatever time 'slice' it gets.


Hans-Georg Winkler

Posts 28
22 Aug 2020 15:10


My vote would be the current 2.X Core with Pamela sound :-) (for Amiga there are not so many soundcards available and mostly very expensive)
   
    As said before AGA for A500 is nice to have but if it costs RTG this is not an option. But from my point of view there is no realy need for the FPU? so if there is an option to have Pamela instead of the FPU I would definitely choose Pamela ;-)

https://wiki.apollo-accelerators.com/doku.php/saga:audio


Manfred Bergmann

Posts 191
22 Aug 2020 17:27


Patrik Rendel wrote:

And i take definitly AGA on an A500. Thats all i want as i heard about the Vampire and this upcoming feature. This was the only reason for me to buy it.

What would you use AGA for?


Manfred Bergmann

Posts 191
22 Aug 2020 17:32


Daniel Lakey wrote:

Leigh Russ wrote:

  I think many people have just got so used to not having AGA for several years that they now treat the Vampire simply as a fast accelerator and RTG system (especially as there is no other RTG solution for an A600).
 
 

 
  I'd definitely take RTG over AGA on the A600 - using workbench without RTG is painful these days whereas AGA-only titles are few and far between.

Same here.

I have two A1200. One non-Vampire, which only has AGA.
Compared to A600 with ECS there is in fact not much of a difference.
Yes, you have a few more colors.
And there are some AGA games.
But that's pretty much about it.
Compared to my Vampire A1200 there is actually no reason to have an A1200.
All Amigas are pretty much levelled out having a Vampire with RTG.

From a usability point of view Workbench on RTG is much smoother and faster than Workbench on AGA.


Sebastian Blanco

Posts 145
22 Aug 2020 18:37


I don't get what this thread is about ?.

This means that the AGA core is being developed for the V2+ ?.
This is official ?, what facebook have to do to this ?.



Roy Gillotti

Posts 440
22 Aug 2020 19:12


Sebastian Blanco wrote:

I don't get what this thread is about ?.
 
  This means that the AGA core is being developed for the V2+ ?.
  This is official ?, what facebook have to do to this ?.
 

It means gold 3 "AGA" is on hold for now, with hopes it will get some attention when the V4 core is solidified in the future.

The first post was originally published on the vampire user group by the Apollo-team account.


Leigh Russ

Posts 150
22 Aug 2020 19:27


Sebastian Blanco wrote:

I don't get what this thread is about ?.
 
  This means that the AGA core is being developed for the V2+ ?.
  This is official ?, what facebook have to do to this ?.
 

There is also a poll over on the Facebook group with a couple of options on what people would prefer to see.

There's alot more posters and activity over on the Facebook groups by general users than there is here so it's a good way to get feedback


posts 69page  1 2 3 4