Overview Features Instructions Performance Forum Downloads Products Reseller Contact

Welcome to the Apollo Forum

This forum is for people interested in the APOLLO CPU.
Please read the forum usage manual.
VISIT APOLLO IRC CHANNEL



All TopicsNewsPerformanceGamesDemosApolloVampireCoffinReleases
The team will post updates and news here

Teams Topics This Month

Gunnar von Boehn
(Apollo Team Member)
Posts 3395
28 Apr 2018 08:25


Let me give a short summary of some topics
that the team is working on this month.

* Testing ATARI compatible SAGA modes on STonA.

* Testing PAMELA audio (Paula compatible new audio chip on HDMI)

* Work on SAGA Blitter

* USB driver/expansion card




Mo Retro

Posts 183
28 Apr 2018 08:55


Appreciate the info sharing Gunnar :-)
 
  I suppose Pamela and Saga blitter is for G3.
  Will the USB/ expansion make it in G2.9 or is that for G3 also?
 
  Thanks for the Teams hard work!


Gunnar von Boehn
(Apollo Team Member)
Posts 3395
28 Apr 2018 08:58


Mo Retro wrote:

Will the USB/ expansion make it in G2.9 or is that for G3 also?

Yes the USB is aimed to be used with the Expansion port of Gold-2.9 V500+


Leigh Russ

Posts 98
28 Apr 2018 10:29


Is the USB also going to be usable on a v600 with an SD breakout board? It is only SPI afterall.


Mo Retro

Posts 183
28 Apr 2018 13:22


Gunnar von Boehn wrote:

Mo Retro wrote:

  Will the USB/ expansion make it in G2.9 or is that for G3 also?
 

 
  Yes the USB is aimed to be used with the Expansion port of Gold-2.9 V500+

Great news for the community, thanks Gunnar :)


Sean Sk

Posts 120
28 Apr 2018 15:07


Gunnar von Boehn wrote:

  * Work on SAGA Blitter
 

 
  This I'm looking forward to. Will be very interesting.
 


Stefano Briccolani

Posts 187
28 Apr 2018 15:29


Any news about Fast-IDE for v600?



Vojin Vidanovic

Posts 278
28 Apr 2018 17:19


Gunnar von Boehn wrote:

Let me give a short summary of some topics

Thanks. Its all nice way to GOLD3 and all the work can be reused for v4 I hope.

My questions are:

- Are v4 cores developed and tested parallelly to speed up release

- Beside GOLD3 and mentioned USB driver how far until standalone 101% operational and ready for market (overall estimate, no sticking to dates - like one quarter, more then on quarter year expected)

- What happened to idea of v4 with 2.9 core availiability I believe I have seen in past reports when core was announced? Is it risky move or gold3 and then testing and production run is needed?



Tim Trepanier

Posts 24
28 Apr 2018 19:22


Gunnar, thank you for the update. Even if it's not we completed this piece update i still appreciate the what we're working on update. Keep them coming, it helps to keep hopes up as we wait.


Mallagan Bellator

Posts 320
29 Apr 2018 00:09


Vojin Vidanovic wrote:

Gunnar von Boehn wrote:

  Let me give a short summary of some topics
 

 
  Thanks. Its all nice way to GOLD3 and all the work can be reused for v4 I hope.
 
  My questions are:
 
  - Are v4 cores developed and tested parallelly to speed up release
 
  - Beside GOLD3 and mentioned USB driver how far until standalone 101% operational and ready for market (overall estimate, no sticking to dates - like one quarter, more then on quarter year expected)
 
  - What happened to idea of v4 with 2.9 core availiability I believe I have seen in past reports when core was announced? Is it risky move or gold3 and then testing and production run is needed?
 

Gold 3 would be needed, since stand alone wont have either OCS, ECS or AGA without it


Ian Parsons

Posts 159
29 Apr 2018 10:41


Yes but something else must be holding up the release of the A500 accelerator version of the V4.

USB on the V4 is (probably very) different to the USB for the 500V2. The standalone version also needs to work with USB keyboard and mouse without a driver, converting directly to Amiga keyboard and mouse input.

After the big announcement V4 news has gone very quiet.


Vojin Vidanovic

Posts 278
29 Apr 2018 12:27


Ian Parsons wrote:

  USB on the V4 is (probably very) different to the USB for the 500V2. The standalone version also needs to work with USB keyboard and mouse without a driver, converting directly to Amiga keyboard and mouse input.

 
  Plus the LAN drivers which arent mentioned (yet) as under development. Instead of high hopes and gueses, let the team inform us of progress and then we can see "how far until ...".

Mallagan Bellator wrote:

Vojin Vidanovic wrote:

  - What happened to idea of v4 with 2.9 core availiability I believe I have seen in past reports when core was announced? Is it risky move or gold3 and then testing and production run is needed?
 
 


  Gold 3 would be needed, since stand alone wont have either OCS, ECS or AGA without it

In that peculiar case I wasnt thinking of standalone but of v4 for 500/600/1200 that would utilise onboard chipset until GOLD3, which I see as only option to v4 with v2.9 core


Alan Haynes

Posts 88
29 Apr 2018 14:08


My understanding has always been since V4 was announced that it would start with Gold 3. If that is the case then all the work to complete the 2.9 core is leading to the completion of Gold 3.0 without which the V4 won't be released.

Remember we have always been told when we buy these cards that we should not expect anymore than what they currently come with.
In customer it is always better to exceed customer expectations.
The Vampire Team have done that for me already so I am happy with what I have.
The Vampire Team delivers.
Who else in the last 20 years has given us the ability to turn our low end ancient Amiga's into real powerhouses for such good value unheard of in the Amiga world?
Simple Answer: No One!
Cheers from Australia



Andy Hearn

Posts 78
29 Apr 2018 21:11


Agreed, I'd just like to echo the positive sentiments here.
  Also thanks for the update.
 
  the pamela "chip"... is the aim just for audio, or will there still be a reliance on the existing paula for other general I/O functionality? (given the V4 won't have a floppy drive or old style serial port...)
 


Mallagan Bellator

Posts 320
29 Apr 2018 23:26


Vojin Vidanovic wrote:

Ian Parsons wrote:

    USB on the V4 is (probably very) different to the USB for the 500V2. The standalone version also needs to work with USB keyboard and mouse without a driver, converting directly to Amiga keyboard and mouse input.

 
  Plus the LAN drivers which arent mentioned (yet) as under development. Instead of high hopes and gueses, let the team inform us of progress and then we can see "how far until ...".
 
 
Mallagan Bellator wrote:

 
Vojin Vidanovic wrote:

 
    - What happened to idea of v4 with 2.9 core availiability I believe I have seen in past reports when core was announced? Is it risky move or gold3 and then testing and production run is needed?
   
 

  Gold 3 would be needed, since stand alone wont have either OCS, ECS or AGA without it
 

 
  In that peculiar case I wasnt thinking of standalone but of v4 for 500/600/1200 that would utilise onboard chipset until GOLD3, which I see as only option to v4 with v2.9 core

Yes, you’re right. I realized that too when I just read the thread again. I shouldn’t type when I’m tired ^^ I was thinking about the V4 standalone. Honestly, V4 with gold 2.9 would work fine for me on my A1200.. I have a mediator and pci netword adapter, so the drivers for the ethernet on V4 would be no big deal for me, it would all work fine anyway


Daniel Sevo

Posts 181
29 Apr 2018 23:36


Gunnar von Boehn wrote:

8><-----
 
  * Work on SAGA Blitter

  ----><8
 

Now this is interesting, been wondering about this one since it was in th natami specs. Any more info, like a "specs teaser"? Comparison to AGA Blitter performance?

From the old Natami specs:
--------------------------
  * BLITTER:
      Fully compatible with AGA-AMIGA
      Speed of SuperBlitter is many times faster than AMIGA AGA blitter
      comparisons will follow.
    * 2D Enhancements:
      In Chunky/Hicolor/ or Truecolor pixel mode the Super Blitter can "cookie cut" copy bobs.
      Like the AMIGA Sprites, a "cookie cut" copy needs no blitting mask.
      This enabled the blitter to use less memory and to work at double speed compared to planar blits.

    * 3D Accelerator:
      Texturemapping Blitter enhancement.
      Provides Mipmapping, Subpixel 4 way interpolation, Light sources, Antialiasing
----------------------------

Thanx


Vojin Vidanovic

Posts 278
30 Apr 2018 06:45


Daniel Sevo wrote:

      * 3D Accelerator:
        Texturemapping Blitter enhancement.
        Provides Mipmapping, Subpixel 4 way interpolation, Light sources, Antialiasing
  ----------------------------
  Thanx

This is unexpected and very nice. Warp3D/miniGL compatibile or separately programmable?



Samuel Crow

Posts 286
30 Apr 2018 08:15


@Vojin

That's taken from the old NatAmi specs.  The current generation of AMMX should make that stuff obsolete even with software rendering because the second thread of the CPU can be used for running drivers.


Vojin Vidanovic

Posts 278
30 Apr 2018 12:14


Samuel Crow wrote:

@Vojin
 
  That's taken from the old NatAmi specs.  The current generation of AMMX should make that stuff obsolete even with software rendering because the second thread of the CPU can be used for running drivers.

Doh. So there will be first "overeengenereed" feat. But thanks for clarification.

posts 19