Overview Features Instructions Performance Forum Downloads Products Reseller Contact

Welcome to the Apollo Forum

This forum is for people interested in the APOLLO CPU.
Please read the forum usage manual.
VISIT APOLLO IRC CHANNEL



All TopicsNewsPerformanceGamesDemosApolloVampireCoffinReleases
The team will post updates and news here

Current Situation of Aros 68k On Vampire?

Olaf Schoenweiss

Posts 427
22 Mar 2018 12:34


Some time ago I started to do a new version of my distribution but asked if problems relating vampire are solved(I think Aros did not boot or at least not without problems)? I did not get any clear answer so I stopped working on the distribution because investing rare time in something people will not use made no real sense to me. I would ask about current situation, has it improved? Does it boot and work now on Vampire? Could Vampire developers inform me there? Besides for standalone devices f.e. Aros would be needed for USB-Support (Poseidon) as a example.


David Wright

Posts 268
22 Mar 2018 14:03


Isn't Stephen Jones the go to guy on Aros.
I know he now has a Vampire card also.


Olaf Schoenweiss

Posts 427
22 Mar 2018 14:12


ClusterUK is not a developer and not the "go to guy" for Aros

In the past he promoted Aros X86 and mostly did videos

I am interested in getting informations from developers of current situation


Stefano Briccolani

Posts 199
22 Mar 2018 14:38


There are several videos on youtube about Aros on vampire. I think the new core2.7/2.8 and updated SAGA could make aros run better than shown now..
EXTERNAL LINK


Stefano Briccolani

Posts 199
22 Mar 2018 14:39


Even AmikitX would be a great alternative to os 3.x


Olaf Schoenweiss

Posts 427
22 Mar 2018 14:46


I am aware of them

there were still some problems to be sorted out and I have not heared anything about it for some time.


Vojin Vidanovic

Posts 348
22 Mar 2018 17:22


There is no AROS developers answer here.
  Posting on AROS-EXEC might be better.
EXTERNAL LINK 
  On side of analysis, what do we have, what do we miss ...
 
  I suppose loss of most active 68k developer takes its toll.
 
  Lets take that to do (fix) list is mainly the same:
  - IDE is slow
  - GFX still needs tuning (combination of IDE and GFX causes very slow performance)
  - Booting from SDCard with no aid of other media or partitions (maybe new mapROM could be used here?)
  - Not being AMMX/080 optimized at all (Note: AROS is not 020-060 optimized at all. A clean recompiled would be best
  https://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/Aros/Platforms/68k_support#m68k_Native_Environment_Sources
 
  I am positively surprised to see AROS 68k ISO nightly build
  is current EXTERNAL LINK 
  On a side note it exists for SAM440/460, I wonder would PPC build work on A1-x1000. One obstacle is first to find out what to boot from CFE :-)


Samuel Crow

Posts 290
22 Mar 2018 17:26


Olaf Schoenweiss wrote:

Some time ago I started to do a new version of my distribution but asked if problems relating vampire are solved(I think Aros did not boot or at least not without problems)? I did not get any clear answer so I stopped working on the distribution because investing rare time in something people will not use made no real sense to me. I would ask about current situation, has it improved? Does it boot and work now on Vampire? Could Vampire developers inform me there? Besides for standalone devices f.e. Aros would be needed for USB-Support (Poseidon) as a example.

Mike Ness is still working on the Heisenbug related to the boot process.  He suspects a race condition exists.


Olaf Schoenweiss

Posts 427
23 Mar 2018 09:15


I am familiar with the different sites ;)

With IDE you mean propably desktop (IDE is Integrated Development Environment, something also needed of course...)

There is Scalos, Wanderer what you refer to and Magellan (what I personal like). From what we saw in past Scalos is faster than Wanderer (at least that was the case). The main propblem on vampire it seems is a problem while booting Samuel refers to.


Vojin Vidanovic

Posts 348
23 Mar 2018 09:42


Olaf Schoenweiss wrote:

  There is Scalos, Wanderer what you refer to and Magellan (what I personal like). From what we saw in past Scalos is faster than Wanderer (at least that was the case). The main propblem on vampire it seems is a problem while booting Samuel refers to.
 

 
  I have used AROS as interesting mashup with Linux, AEROS. AROS interfrace is at best said spartan, at worse ugly and a bit clumsy. Thus, ability of AROS to use WB replacements like Magellan or ScalOS comes handy. While I love Magellan as file manager, I would opt ScalOS for Vamp version of AROS and Wanderer as fallback option.
 
  There is also a number of great features that are "OS4 like"
  EXTERNAL LINK 
  Latest ScalOS from 2012 seems not to have AROS 68k version, but has Sources and AROS i386 version
  EXTERNAL LINK   
  Its great boot thing is worked on, so it can be tested by users.
 
Few more backports from AROS x86 and * ching ching * there is an NG OS but Hyperion/H&P/etc. independent.


Olaf Schoenweiss

Posts 427
23 Mar 2018 09:47


Scalos was ported to Zune/Aros and is part of contributions download

Magellan has a big advantage (next to others) that it not needs MUI or Zune so you can use both Zune and MUI with it, even change between both. I use that in my distribution


Vojin Vidanovic

Posts 348
23 Mar 2018 09:57


Olaf Schoenweiss wrote:

  Magellan has a big advantage (next to others) that it not needs MUI or Zune so you can use both Zune and MUI with it, even change between both. I use that in my distribution

Yup, as advertised, "standalone WB replacement" :-)


Wawa T

Posts 473
23 Mar 2018 10:42


Vojin Vidanovic wrote:

  Latest ScalOS from 2012 seems not to have AROS 68k version, but has Sources and AROS i386 version

usually you dont need an "aros68k version", you simply take regular amiga software. but scalos is delivered for every platform aros runs on in contribs/extras.


Michael R

Posts 255
24 Mar 2018 03:10


I wouldn't mind doing some testing with an AROS 68k version if it gets to be bootable and somewhat responsive on Vampire accelerators. I have a 500 V2+ currently, but I'm waiting for the 1200 V4. I am thinking of installing Afa OS 4.8 now that I have found a way to easily copy files to my A500 + Vampire by using Icaros Desktop and a CF card. Using the 1200 V4 should be a lot easier since it will have 2 ide connectors and pcmcia port available to transfer data.


Samuel Crow

Posts 290
24 Mar 2018 10:35


Michael R wrote:

I wouldn't mind doing some testing with an AROS 68k version if it gets to be bootable and somewhat responsive on Vampire accelerators. I have a 500 V2+ currently, but I'm waiting for the 1200 V4. I am thinking of installing Afa OS 4.8 now that I have found a way to easily copy files to my A500 + Vampire by using Icaros Desktop and a CF card. Using the 1200 V4 should be a lot easier since it will have 2 ide connectors and pcmcia port available to transfer data.

Icaros doesn't work on 68k.  It's x86 only.  You'll have to try Olaf's build called AROS Vision.


Wawa T

Posts 473
24 Mar 2018 12:24


if one is seroius about testing, he will do so with aros68k nightly:
  EXTERNAL LINK 
otherwise if something breaks you may not be able to identify where it is coming from. let alone fix it easily.
 
  aros vision is a huge compilation including aros and different other free software. its very huge. on the plus side everything included has been very carefully cleared out by the author, what concerns legality. olaf is very serious about it.


Vojin Vidanovic

Posts 348
27 Mar 2018 14:39


wawa t wrote:
 
    aros vision is a huge compilation including aros and different other free software. its very huge. on the plus side everything included has been very carefully cleared out by the author, what concerns legality. olaf is very serious about it.
 

 
  AROS Vision RTG ts 1.1GB in size zipped.
  EXTERNAL LINK 
  It offers, out of box:
 
  - AROS 68k build
  - AHI, CGX, Warp3D, StormMESA
  - Zune,  MUI  3.8  and  MUI4
  - ScalOS, AMOS, Opus5
  - AmigaAmp, Eagle Player, lots of sound tools and even some tunes
  - Updated datatypes and PCI and USB support
  - Collection of demos and developer tools
  - Full emulation pack incl. DOSBox, ScumVM, Vice, Frodo ...
  - Kens icons, YAM, OWB, AmiSSL, NetSurf ...
  - Even few WHDLoad and SCumVM games to try from Amiga days
  - Updated fonts, libs, C, Arexx etc. Generally a lot of added components!
 
 
  Sounds just like AmigaOS "Next Gen" 68k, just needs to be a bit Vamp ajusted. Sure, cooperation with AROS Vision author (and him being Vampirized) would be great.
 
 
 


Olaf Schoenweiss

Posts 427
27 Mar 2018 15:02


I am the author of Aros Vision

in its current form it is too heavy for Vampire. For example MESA/Gallium is activated so it needs 256 MB RAM. Also I do not know if everything works on Vampire. First step would be that a nightly build correctly boots on Vampire


Wawa T

Posts 473
27 Mar 2018 18:49


but you do have a vampire, olaf, dont you?


Vojin Vidanovic

Posts 348
27 Mar 2018 21:51


Olaf Schoenweiss wrote:

  in its current form it is too heavy for Vampire. For example MESA/Gallium is activated so it needs 256 MB RAM. Also I do not know if everything works on Vampire. First step would be that a nightly build correctly boots on Vampire
 

 
  MESA and W3D currently have no use (except via software emulation wazp3d) anyway.
 
  v4 will come with 512MB FAST and that might change a perspective a bit.
 
  Surely, step by step, but having you onboard is good.

Congrats on best 68k AROS based distro

posts 20