Overview Features Instructions Performance Forum Downloads Products Reseller Contact

Welcome to the Apollo Forum

This forum is for people interested in the APOLLO CPU.
Please read the forum usage manual.
VISIT APOLLO IRC CHANNEL



All TopicsNewsPerformanceGamesApolloVampireReleases
The team will post updates and news here

AmigaOs3.1 Updatepage  1 2 3 4 5 6 7 

Thomas Blatt

Posts 72
30 Oct 2017 04:26


Hyperion are working at an update for Workbench3.1
The most time, i am using Workbench3.1 with my Amiga600+Vampire2.
This update need a new rom. Will this rom be available for Vampire2 owners? How to install this rom on a Vampire2?


Gregthe Canuck

Posts 176
30 Oct 2017 05:00



Here is a link to the picture of the 3.1 update status:

EXTERNAL LINK 



Vojin Vidanovic

Posts 655
30 Oct 2017 06:07


Thomas Blatt wrote:

Hyperion are working at an update for Workbench3.1

Will this rom be available for Vampire2 owners? How to install this rom on a Vampire2?

Nice to see some touch of reality, however, its more bugfixed OS 3.1
then some real advanced feats backport from OS 4.x/Enhancer. Most of the problems fixed have 3rd party solutions. "Have I mentioned bugfixes"? :-)

Vampire does not need onboard ROM. So question might be different. Once this WB 3.x update is out, will Vamps be compatibile with it? Surely Vamp ROM can be updated.

Very stupid requirement, to have new ROMs. Will surely turn a lot of people away.




Gregthe Canuck

Posts 176
30 Oct 2017 06:15


Hi Vojin -

I think you just need to be patient and see how 3.1 progresses.

Gunnar mentioned in IRC that Hyperion came to the Vampire stand and "they said they look forward to work together with us".




Wawa T

Posts 434
30 Oct 2017 06:52


they will always try to cash up on anything, but thor and olaf are good guys. lets see what they deliver and are allowed to, i stand suspicious though, as long as it still has to do with the managementthat practices and attitudes toward the genuine platform we have been witnessing for years.


Nixus Minimax

Posts 211
30 Oct 2017 07:12


AROS runs on PPC, right? With the Vampire it will also run (well) on 68k which not only endangers PPC as a platform but also gives AROS/PPC an advantage over the other PPC flavours. I think this update is more a try to make another fork and create a newer OS version than what leaked before. Plus some extra income from 68k to sink into their PPC "business". If they had any interest in the 68k market, they would create a unified source code for both processors.


Wawa T

Posts 434
30 Oct 2017 07:26


the real problem is that the notable aros developers have left in the meantime. olaf and thor bring some serious competence, likely more than equivalent of matthias and neil. sure it tkaes them ages to do anything, the list doesnt really cut what aros delivers, but i think they work reasonably, slowly but shurely, as they say.
 
  so i wouldnt break down it to simply a political excercise and money, even though it is certainly what hyperion is after, for both thor and olsen it must be more. i think its safe to judge.


Nixus Minimax

Posts 211
30 Oct 2017 08:28


Yes, no doubt ThoR and Olsen do this because they think they are doing the Amiga a service. Their only motives other than that may be that for some reason they prefer closed-source development done by themselves over open-source development done by an open community.


Mr Niding

Posts 195
30 Oct 2017 08:30


Nixus Minimax wrote:

Yes, no doubt ThoR and Olsen do this because they think they are doing the Amiga a service. Their only motives other than that may be that for some reason they prefer closed-source development done by themselves over open-source development done by an open community.

Do they even have a choice on the matter? Im sure they realise the problems regarding AOS3.x status, and the only way they improve the situation themselves is by doing bugfixes.

You could argue they should join as AROS devs, but they have chosen it seems to stick to AOS3.x, and this is how they seemingly best can help the situation.

Good for them!


Sean Sk

Posts 59
30 Oct 2017 08:49


gregthe canuck wrote:

Gunnar mentioned in IRC that Hyperion came to the Vampire stand and "they said they look forward to work together with us".

...and I hope the forge a successful working relationship.

As a side note: if anyone on this forum has a tendency to think critically of the idea that these latest OS 3.1 are just simply a cheap excuse to "cash in" and make more money, think about this: this is what we want!

There have been several discussions lately about the financial viability of software development and the important part it plays in the future of the Amiga as a computing platform. We need developers to make money on software and we need to support them by purchasing their software.


Mr Niding

Posts 195
30 Oct 2017 08:50


@Sean Sk

You are right, but you will find that the community is probably split 50-50 in that regard.


Sean Sk

Posts 59
30 Oct 2017 09:00


Mr Niding wrote:

@Sean Sk
 
  You are right, but you will find that the community is probably split 50-50 in that regard.

And that's a shame. But.......I'm loving that OS 3.1 is getting some love and attention. I'm looking forward to trying out the new version.


Mallagan Bellator

Posts 135
30 Oct 2017 11:20


Well, weíve been talking about future development of AOS 3.x, this is it
My concerns, will the fixed files in the new OS 3.1 support the addon stuffs from 3.5/3.9?
Maybe a cooperation with Haage & Partner? Who knows?

Botom line, let Apollo team do the hardware, and Hyperion do the software, letís hope everyone will be able to hold hands, and the future of the Amiga will be good ;)


Ian Parsons

Posts 125
30 Oct 2017 12:47


Mr Niding wrote:

Nixus Minimax wrote:

  Yes, no doubt ThoR and Olsen do this because they think they are doing the Amiga a service. Their only motives other than that may be that for some reason they prefer closed-source development done by themselves over open-source development done by an open community.
 

 
  Do they even have a choice on the matter? Im sure they realise the problems regarding AOS3.x status, and the only way they improve the situation themselves is by doing bugfixes.
 
  You could argue they should join as AROS devs, but they have chosen it seems to stick to AOS3.x, and this is how they seemingly best can help the situation.
 
  Good for them!

Amiga OS Devs can't work on AROS. Anybody that has seen the Amiga OS source code is "contaminated", AROS dev team must maintain a "clean room" in order to avoid being sued.


ExiE CZEX

Posts 11
30 Oct 2017 13:03


Mallagan Bellator wrote:
Botom line, let Apollo team do the hardware, and Hyperion do the software, letís hope everyone will be able to hold hands, and the future of the Amiga will be good ;)

Are you crazy??????? Let Hyperion do it and you can wait forever.
I don't even like the phrase "Hyperion is working on OS3.1 update".
Olaf and Thomas do. I wonder if they are at least paid for their work, or it is just their hobby and free time...


Mr Niding

Posts 195
30 Oct 2017 13:34


ExiE CZEX wrote:

Mallagan Bellator wrote:
Botom line, let Apollo team do the hardware, and Hyperion do the software, letís hope everyone will be able to hold hands, and the future of the Amiga will be good ;)
 

 
  Are you crazy??????? Let Hyperion do it and you can wait forever.
  I don't even like the phrase "Hyperion is working on OS3.1 update".
  Olaf and Thomas do. I wonder if they are at least paid for their work, or it is just their hobby and free time...

So what is the options? Yes, there is AROS, but with regards to AOS3.x I think we should encourage Olaf and Thomas instead of going into automatic negative mode.

You say you dont like Hyperion is working on OS3.1 update. Do you rather they didnt? So we can moan on forums for a couple of decades longer about lack of progress?


Olaf Schoenweiss
(Apollo Team Member)
Posts 388
30 Oct 2017 13:49


there will be no substantial improvements, just bugfixes and some changes both already have on their harddisks but were not allowed to integrate. Additionally, 3.X not includes network stack, not includes USB support, not includes RTG, not includes AHI...

Both developer will not start real development for 68k again, Thomas clearly stated that money is not his first problem, skilled devs have their fulltime jobs and I assume like everyone else private life. How much do you think is needed to get development for commercial reasons, it is simply unrealistic, even if Vampire/Apollo becomes a real success in amiga terms.


Vojin Vidanovic

Posts 655
30 Oct 2017 13:58


Mr Niding wrote:

 
  Do they even have a choice on the matter? Im sure they realise the problems regarding AOS3.x status, and the only way they improve the situation themselves is by doing bugfixes.
 

 
  What is murky with OS 3.1 status today? Hype boys can modify it and anyone who they license it to?
 
  I agree. Lets wait and see what OS 3.2, AmigaOS CLassic Enhancer or whatever will be.
 
  AEON could have a serious 68k market by just selling updated OS 3.x, backported Enhancer, Octamed, ImageFX etc.

Plus "per design" any 68k development can be reused in AmiKit X/Alice sold to UAE/MorphOS/Vamp/Classic users and even OS4 crowd if needed


Nicolas Sipieter

Posts 53
30 Oct 2017 14:31


i consider all the things hyperion do, in general, as 'not good'.
first their communication is bad. their relation with the community is bad. their products are bad. and: they take Ages (or aeons ;) to deliver half cooked shit.

considering os4 i would put it like this:
hyperion touched os3.1 and turned it in something like windows95/98.
os3.1 transforming into os4: lost its speed, gained weight, lost it's 
nice minimalist UI feeling to ugly fat new one.

to me it's clear, if hyperion are interested in collaboration with apollo team then that's because they want to do something bad.
for example: loose the team in false collaboration on dead end projects that will never materialize .. that's got to be  something like that. to prevent the apollo team to succeed and progress more,  divert its energy and focus on false hopes and directions.

considering 'hyperion', i wouldn't even believe them if they just gave me the time of the day ;)


A1200 Coder

Posts 7
30 Oct 2017 15:06


AmigaOS 3.1 with fixes should still run smoothly as before on an 68020/AGA/2MB, as there are lots of classic Amiga users still around. Therefore the changes should be made conservatively, and indeed just bugfixes as a starter is a good idea.

No bloats here please.. the AmigaOS is a microkernel type solution, the kernel needs to be kept small and efficient, whatever it takes. It doesn't work like a Linux kernel anyway.  Networking was built into Amiga afterwards too, without the kernel knowing much about it. That includes for example Miami TCP/IP application and an ethernet driver for PCMCIA network cards.

posts 124page  1 2 3 4 5 6 7